Clerks ... The Measure of Success
Welcome New Clerks!
Latest News and Updates
SPOTLIGHT: This Clerk Says Every Day Brings Something New!
Joyce M. Walker, MMC, NCCMC, NAGARA
Town of Lewisville
A quote from Joyce Walker “Let me start by saying that from elementary school, I thought my future was to be a teacher. I’m glad I didn’t continue that route and instead went to work for the local telephone company. That business, technical and writing background has assisted a great deal in performing this job. I enjoy coming to work every day. As we all know, every day brings something new.”
Joyce retired as data base manager from Bell Atlantic after 28 years. In 1996, she began working for the town through a temp agency as a receptionist, not wanting any position in a supervisory capacity. When the contract with the temp agency ended, was offered the receptionist position as a member of staff. In 2000, was offered the town clerk position when the town clerk/planner left.
Joyce has impressive credentials:
- IIMC Clerks Certification in October 2000
- IIMC and NCAMC member since 2001
- 2003 received CMC
- 2011 received MMC
- 2012 inaugural class to receive NCCMC and re-certified in 2017
- 2015 received certificate from National Association of Government Archives & Records Administrators (NAGARA) - first in the state. She provided this information to the North Carolina Association of Municipal Clerks at the January Clerks Academy so that those interested could apply and receive certification. (2016)
In 2018 received Clerk of the Year award. She said highlights of receiving the award was receiving a flag from NC Representative Julia Howard that was flown over the State Capitol; and receiving a plaque from Congresswoman Virginia Foxx with her congratulatory statement that was read on the U.S. House floor and that was read into the Congressional Record on September 26, 2018.
Joyce is an active member in the North Carolina Association of Municipal Clerks. The following is a list of her service:
- NCAMC - Program Education Committee Member - 2005 -2011,2013 - Present
- (At direction of NCAMC in conjunction with NCLM) Clerks Reference Guide Updated Chapter 7 Annexation section - 2007
- Appointed by NCAMC Board to NCLM Planning and Services Technical Advisory Committee - 2008-2010
- NCLM QCT Committee on Land Use Planning - 2010 - 2011
- NCAMC Constitution Review Committee - 2012
- NCAMC Video Conference Sub-committee - 2012
- NCAMC - WSOS (We Share Our Services) Committee Member - 2016 - Present
- Hosted 2 regional academies - 2010 & 2016
- District 9 Director
Joyce has served as a member of the Forsyth County Addressing Committee & Address Technical Committee since 2008. She has participated in URISA live webinar for national addressing standards.
Joyce is active in Community Involvement for the City of Winston Salem, the Lewisville Civic Club, the Lewisville Historical Society, Boy Scouts of America, Girl Scouts of America, NAWIC Piedmont Chapter Block Kids, and an Inaugural Advisory Board member to Women Who Care - a subsidiary of the Clemmons Community Foundation - 2014-2016. She was served in several leadership roles in these organizations.
Joyce’s hobbies include bowling (adult league and supports youth bowling since 1975); Cake decorating, sewing, watching TV murder mysteries, sci-fi and cooking channels and TV trivia.